Thursday 31 May 2012

The nail extension

Hi everyone, how are you doing?

I've now finished my Nail Technology course and I'm waiting for my portfolio to be verified. Now that I don't have exams and revision to deal with, I can actually pay a little more attention to my own hands. My index finger nail is a fair bit shorter than my other nails...mainly because I seem to end up filing it down by accident whilst shaping clients nails. Perhaps my own nails need to be cut or perhaps I need to find a better way to hold on to my clients without nubbinating my own finger. Please observe:

 You will also notice that I have two splits on my middle finger and a tear on my thumbnail. I've put gel overlays on each of those nails to grow them out without taking them all the way down.  As I'm always happy to play with acrylic, I decided to give my index nail an acrylic sculpted extension!


 I put on my form and began creating the acrylic extension. There are several steps that need to be taken before we get to this point, but I don't intend to bore you with details.

So far, so good.


 After the sculpt is complete. The product I am using here is not the best. It's one that we all had to train with, but our lecturer suggested that we invest a little more money in better products that offer longevity. I'm already awaiting a few deliveries.

 After filing.
 After using a three-way buffer. You know, I'd never seen anyone buff acrylic nails before and I have to say, it makes a lot of difference! I realise that using a white acrylic would have given me a nice 'forever french' manicure look, but I was not about to sit there overlaying every single nail. My nails are rarely bare so no-one will see it.

Here's the shape of the nail.

I know that a lot of you readers take very good care of your nails and there are some who think nail enhancements are a big no-no. I'll admit to feeling like a bit of a fraud when wearing an overlay or patching up a break, but on this occasion I do not. As far as I am concerned providing it is applied correctly, a nail extension can look beautiful and natural. There is nothing wrong with wearing enhancements if they make you feel good. Yes, so they may cause some weakness to your nails when removed, but if you find a good, reliable nail technician who cares about your needs and listens to you, damage can be limited.

Here's one of my clients with before and after an infill.

Before.

Here she is afterwards. She told me that they could pass for her own nails and I have to agree with her.

How do you feel about nail enhancements? If you wear them, which kind do you wear? Acrylic, gel, overlays, sculpted tips? If you don't like them, why not? I'm interested to know folks!

xx

17 comments:

  1. I use to wear acrylic nails I enjoyed them at that time but to be honest imo they are damaging.

    You did a great job on your clients nails they do look real :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RM. I totally agree with you. Enhancements can definitely damage your nails. Even if your nail tech doesn't file your nail bed to death, the primer and other chemicals will dehydrate the nail. I guess it's about damage limitation really.

      Delete
  2. congrats on finishing the course! I'm almost done with my first semester, and I love it! I do agree with you, when done right, enhancements look fantastic. While I have never actually done my own nails I may in the future

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LD. I enjoyed the course so much and it's nice to see that someone else knows how I feel, lol! I'd rather not do my own nails, simply because I don't want to become reliant on them but hey, I'll never rule it out.

      Delete
  3. I haven't used enhancements on my nails because I am too stubborn and I would rather just file them down... I am too drastic, hehe. I must say your work is beautiful, I hadn't seen such natural results <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Carol, I really apreciate it.

      Delete
  4. Those look really good! Her nails look really natural too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bit my nails until last year when I had shellac done. Bought the stuff and started doing it at home. Grew them out and now I mostly keep them natural but sometimes I use Gelish or Shellac. I dont think there is anything wrong with artificial nails of any kind. I am amazed by this process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Sue. Nothing wrong with a falsie :)

      Delete
  6. her nails look really great! never thought of doing a overlay instead of clipping my nails. Im breaking almost everyday at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to get tips and then grow out my nails with overlays. That definitely helped to ward off any breakages. I got fed up with them growing out all the time though, so I got rid of them and started this blog.

      Delete
  7. Wow! Those look amazing (your's and your client's)! I agree with you- if it makes you feel good about yourself, do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't worked with gels and acrylic powders yet but ur works looks sooo nice!! The client should be very happy with the result!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do fantastic work, dear! I say people should do whatever makes them happy with their nails! I have used gels to support & strengthen my nails...but go without now. Even though I don't like the shape of my nails, it is too much work to use them regularly. I am not a nail tech....just an amateur! Rock on, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! Wish you many happy clients and friends! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the most natural looking thing i've seen! Really impressive! I hate when I see women wearing seriously fake looking nails in public! These look amazing and I can't wait to learn about it when I do a nail technician course!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I hope you like what you see here. Feel free to leave a comment.
Please don't leave your website link in this section unless I ask for it. I WILL delete your comment. If you want me to visit your blog, you can email me... :-)
Have a great day.