Thursday 12 April 2012

Moon manicure massacre

I was sitting here completely uninspired the other day and whilst browsing various vintage style links on Google I found an idea I wanted to try. Honestly, in terms of style, I'm a bit of a mish-mash. I like a lot of looks, one of which is vintage. Yes, vintage is such a broad term, but I like everything from high-necked lace blouses and cameos from the Victorian era to the pin-roll hair styles of the 50's. I'll take a good chiffon blouse with a pussy bow tie any day, but I'm far from ladylike. I had thought about posting a pictures of a few things that represent me (aside from nails) but I don't know...would you be interested in a post like that? Let me know?

Anyway, I'm rambling again. I decided to try a 30's (but also popular in variations in the 40's AND 50's) 'Moon Manicure'.  Apparently, the trend was to paint only the part of the nail, leaving the nail tip and half moon area bare. Painting the entire nail was considered to be quite a bold statement...

 Ehhhhh. I'm thinking that this is one vintage trend I should steer clear of. My nails are a little too long and too square for this style. My tips look so white too. This, this and this are better examples of what DOES suit me!

I wore this for one day and then I got fed up of hiding my fingers, so off it came!

I hope you enjoyed my fail. I apologise for the solitary photo - the lighting was poor and this was the only half decent one ;)

xx


15 comments:

  1. Wow. Loved those crackle tips you referenced. I have to put that on my short list to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, I quite liked that one too actually!

      Delete
  2. I was supposed to do this for a challenge...but just couldn't :( It looked terrible on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honesty Jackie, I couldn't bare to wear this! Half-moons only are lovely, but bare tips? *shudders*

      Delete
  3. I really like these, wish I had long nails >_< but the nail fairy didn't bless my digits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica, but it would look far better on shorter nails anyway :)

      Delete
  4. This looks absolutely gorgeous.

    I am so completely horrible when it comes to my nails so I'm seriously lusting after yours

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I have total nail envy right now.
    Those half moons are PERFECT!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, that is not my cup of tea... I love your nails though! and your other nail ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks for your honesty Mnemo! It's definitely not my cuppa either...but I HAD to try it ;)

      Delete
  7. Interesting, it's cool looking back at nail trends of the past. I learnt something new today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this style could work with different colors perhaps; I love that red shade but it looks a bit stark against half moons & ivory nail tips :) Very unique though; never hurts to experiment!

    I'm a new nail blogger, by the way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to see things that represent you. That would be cool. This is definitely an interesting look. Not sure why it was a hit. Kudos for giving it a try ;0). I love the link to your crackle one. Now that was amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog, I hope you like what you see here. Feel free to leave a comment.
Please don't leave your website link in this section unless I ask for it. I WILL delete your comment. If you want me to visit your blog, you can email me... :-)
Have a great day.